Sunday, September 12, 2010

El Nuevo Sur

This past weekend, I went to a conference for the Georgia Free Clinics Network on St. Simons Island (which is about 70 miles south of Savannah).  The resort was absolutely gorgeous, and I certainly did not mind missing a day of work to look at the ocean.  However, it was kind of a strange experience because the event was only intended for clinic directors and the person in charge made it very clear to the Executive Director of Good Samaritan that I wasn't welcome.  Oh well- I'm glad I got to learn more about Georgia laws and about how free clinics operate here.

To me, the most fascinating thing about the conference was the discourse that was used in our little retreat room. There were only 25-30 people present, so I expected everyone to want to really get to know each other and listen to each other as a way to learn new ways to advance every one's own clinic.  After all, people came from all parts of the state, with many driving over 5 hours to attend the weekend.

What ended up happening was an overabundance of ego in a very small room.  Maybe people have become so used to defending their clinic against critics that they don't know how to communicate with people who have similar missions.  But everyone was constantly interrupting each other and trying to make themselves look best- it reminded me of something in a bad high school movie.

It was also strange to me because I assumed that everyone would also be nice and caring; after all, they have all given their lives to provide health care for individuals who are uninsured.  So it especially shocked and angered me when someone asked "How many of ya'll accept illegals?"  Calling individuals without social security numbers "illegals" is extremely disrespectful and completely minimizes the fact that they are people.  They may have done something illegal, but gosh, who hasn't? 

And I know I have my own biases, but I didn't really expect to be chatting with people who are die-hard Republicans wearing Army T-shirts.

So I guess I'm learning a lot about the south.  I discovered a drive-thru liquor store last night.  I constantly hear about states' rights and how the government shouldn't be involved when discussing health care.  I now know that Newt Gingrich is from Georgia.  I'm living in a state whose flag from 1956 to 2001 looked shockingly similar to the flag of the Confederacy.  People are still adjusting to racial integration in rural areas and don't quite know what to do with Hispanics.  To be honest, the only thing that seems to unite people is their love for UGA football.

Georgia is foreign to me.  But at least it's interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment