Saturday, October 23, 2010

La vida sencilla

Today it was 80 degrees in Savannah and there was not a cloud to be found in the sky.  I went to the beach with my roomies, like I've done literally every weekend since I got here in August.  Regina was holding a book and a towel, and as we got comfortable on the sand, she said, "This is what I call simple living."

Before I started MVC, I was under the impression that full-time volunteers lived in poverty.  However, I've come to realize that, if you include the amount that is being paid for my housing, transportation, food, health insurance, telephone, cable, and internet, I'm making significantly more money than almost all of my patients.  So although I only have $100/month as "spending money", I don't feel any type of need.  To be honest, I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 in a month on non-necessities.  Well, other than for traveling, but I can't really do that this year.  (Unless you count the two conferences I've had in St. Simons and Atlanta, or my weekend visit to Hilton Head.)

Living simply has taken on a new meaning for me, though.  I am perfectly satisfied just being.  I don't feel the need to fill my schedule to the brim.  I work hard during the week, but the weirdest thing has happened...I've found that my work has become a higher quality now that I'm not constantly exhausted.

I think the beautiful weather and scenery in Savannah is good for my soul.  I'm so happy I'm here, even when I'm fighting constant frustrations with the immigration and health care systems.  I know I'm in the right place, yet I'm also really content to know that it's only for a year.

So how is my life simple now compared to what it was in college?  Now my weekend materials include a water bottle, running shoes, a towel, rice cakes, a good book, and my journal.  No more note cards, laptops, heavy books, binders, etc.  Everything I do that isn't in my work week feels like a treat.  I'm not constantly surrounded by hundreds of people and countless activity possibilities, but walking around City Market or Tybee Island with a few close friends (such as my visitors) is the best thing I could ever imagine.

I honestly don't miss trying to fit as many meetings, meal dates, classes, labs, volunteer endeavors, etc. as possible into each day.  I've realized that the quality of what I did was not what it could have been.  And the overall quality of my life certainly was not its best.

I recommend that everyone attempt this simple living thing for at least one period of time.  It's awesome.

1 comment: