Saturday, December 18, 2010

La Navidad

It's one week before Christmas and yesterday it was 71 degrees in Savannah.  It kind of feels like October here; the leaves on the tree in our front yard are finally beginning to change colors.  Last week it was actually quite chilly...then I realized that if I thought 30 degrees was cold, I will be in for a rude awakening when I venture back up to Massachusetts and Philly on Thursday.  I think the only thing that reminds me that Christmas is looming is my house's beautiful holiday decorations and the music on the radio.

I don't think the commercialization of Christmas has ever bothered me as much as it does right now.  When I get $100/month for personal spending, it's hard to justify buying gifts, especially the kind that you know the recipient doesn't need or even really want.  Besides, now more than ever, I just want to be around my close friends and family.  I want presence, not gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment