Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mis pacientes perdidos

Sometimes I can't get in touch with my patients.  I get the terrible message from Cricket that tells me that the person's phone has been "temporarily disconnected" and then I attempt to call every emergency number the person had ever listed.  Most of those are usually disconnected or wrong numbers, too.

Initially, I get frustrated, especially when I can't get in touch with patients who are diabetic or who are on lots of prescription medications.  But then the frustration often turns to worry.  Why didn't they call and tell me their new phone number?  Why did they miss their appointment?  Are they okay?

This week alone, one patient's husband and another patient's brother were deported.  I can't help but wonder what that means for their health (never mind every other part of their life).  We haven't had any detention centers request medical records, so who is making sure that the individual is getting the correct blood pressure or cholesterol medicine that will hopefully prevent heart attacks/strokes?

Granted, some of my patients move away on their own accord.  Others are in jail for making silly decisions (usually involving drugs).  And sometimes people just re-appear out of the blue.

I guess this is a lesson in letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment