Saturday, August 21, 2010

Estoy casi acostumbrada...

     I'm starting to feel comfortable here.  I was worried about this week, since I started noticing a lot of my friends' Facebook statuses making reference to moving back in on Hawk Hill, but I'm very at peace with being done with college.  To be honest, I like the fact that even though I work long hours, my work stays at the clinic.  As soon as I get in my car, I know that I don't have to worry about anything until the next day.  And weekends are the best thing ever!  I haven't really had this feeling since sophomore year of college (spending a year studying for the MCAT and another one applying to med school wasn't exactly relaxing).  I've noticed that I'm eating well, sleeping an adequate amount, and magically feeling better than I've felt in a very long time.
     I feel really at ease, both in my new house and in my new workplace.  I finally feel like I understand how Good Samaritan works, and I'm getting used to my responsibilities.  I'm also beginning to understand certain patients, certain doctors, and certain procedures much better.  It's probably a good sign that I wake up ready to start work, and my days seem to fly by.
     On Thursday I had my first (of two, which is definitely not enough) medical interpreters class.  Two women are co-teaching: one is Puerto Rican and the other is Mexican.  We spent a lot of time talking about the ethics of interpreting and making fun of the variances between Latino/Hispanic cultures and connotations of words.  But I got a bunch of good resources to study to improve my medical vocabulary, and they really helped me feel more confident because I realized that everyone has the same struggles and frustrations that I'm dealing with right now.
     My highs/rays of sunshine/gifts of the week include: (1) Finding out one of my patients who is having a lot of neurological problems finally qualified for Medicare; (2) Eating pizza at an outdoor restaurant for Regina's birthday on Thursday night and then walking around the river area with a beer in my hand; (3) Going to the beach today and swimming in the warm ocean water for like an hour; (4) Going to Mass said by a Jesuit on Monday at the hospital during the very boring orientation; and (5) Hearing so many patients say how wonderful our clinic is. :)
     I finally put all the pictures I have so far up on Facebook!
 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was doing as well as you are with the Facebook statuses going up this week. I am so glad to hear that things are going well : ) Look for a little something in the mail soon! love you.

    ReplyDelete