Thursday, August 12, 2010

Para empezar...

And so it begins...
     I had orientation for Mercy Volunteer Corps in Detroit from July 31 to August 7.  And by "Detroit" I mean "Farmington Hills, Michigan."  It was an extremely long week, and it was definitely hard for me, a natural wanderer, to stay put on the campus of the Sisters of Mercy on Eleven Mile Road.  At least the grounds were beautiful and were ideal for walks/runs during our very little free time. 
     My favorite part of the campus was the labyrinth.  It was outside, set far back in the woods.  I walked it a few different times because I found it very peaceful.  It reminded me of the first time I saw a labyrinth, which happened to be the original one in Chartres in France.  And of the labyrinth I walked with my Koinonia group a few years ago at SJU.  And of the labyrinth I walked with MaryKate at BC just a few days before I left Massachusetts.  Perhaps the best part about the labyrinth in Farmington Hills was the inscription on the information plaque that said "You are exactly where you are supposed to be."  That phrase was repeated a million times on my trip to Ecuador last May, so I couldn't help but smile. :) 
     I enjoyed getting to know all 24 of the other Mercy Volunteers (who are working in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Erie, New York, Sacramento, Detroit, St. Michael's Arizona, and Guyana, in addition to Savannah).  I am so grateful that I'm working with a small organization because I know the leadership well, too.  Plus, the Sisters of Mercy, Associates, Companions and former volunteers form a beautiful community that seems to provide endless connections and support.
     The sessions themselves throughout orientation weren't very thrilling.  I liked learning more about Catherine McAuley, but the other stuff was more like an overview of everything I've ever learned at RA training/retreats/service reflections over the past few years.  So at least I can say I felt well-prepared!
     Throughout orientation, we had a prayer space set up using a personal item from each person.  I used the quetzal keychain that Tom gave me as an affirmation gift in Guatemala in May.  I chose that because it reminds me of the beautiful memories I have from Central America over the past few years: in Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, and Guatemala (x2).  It was there that I came to view myself in the context of the global community and where I believe I started to understand what prayer and vocation truly mean.  It's still hard for me to believe that I will be in the continental United States for the next year of my life, but I also know that I have a lot of growing to do in my identity as an almost bilingual/bicultural woman. 
     I got to spend a lot of time with my community during orientation, mostly having "guided conversations".  My three housemates are absolutely wonderful.  Mike just graduated from Notre Dame, Regina just graduated from St. Xavier University, and Linda is from Long Island and has three grown children.  We're all pretty different, but one thing we all have in common is that we're all adjusting to new stages of our lives.  Plus, we're all interested in going on adventures to explore Savannah and its surroundings. I think we're going to work well together.
     At the end of orientation, Greta and Jenny from Savannah, and Sr. Regina and Sr. Bette from Philadelphia, came for the commissioning Mass.  Despite each day feeling incredibly long, suddenly it felt like the week flew by and I was saying goodbye to new friends. 
     I need to go to bed, but I'll update again this weekend about Savannah!
     In the meantime, if you would like to donate to my $500 fundraising goal for MVC, please click on this link: http://mvc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=317670&lis=1&kntae317670=B68A9360B09D4D05A3457E1DDB4D3158&supId=298745878 (Note: there's a picture of my community on the page, so even if you don't have money you should still check it out!)
    
 

1 comment: