Saturday, February 5, 2011

En una mitad del año

Sometime this past week, I officially hit the halfway point of my year with Mercy Volunteer Corps.  It's kind of a strange feeling; part of me feels like I've been in Savannah forever, but the other part of me feels like I just arrived.  I can't imagine not going to the Good Samaritan Clinic anymore after July 15, but at the same time I'm very much looking forward to starting graduate school in August.

Coming back to Savannah after getting a very sweet taste of Philly for New Year's was harder than I expected.  I love my life here, but it was strange to be reminded of my "other life" on Hawk Hill.  I'm not really homesick, but I certainly miss being around lots of people I love at once.

I can't even begin to fathom a point in my life when I don't live with Linda, Regina, and Mike.  Or when I will make more than $100/month.  Thoughts of paying rent, worrying about transportation and insurance, etc. seem impossibly distant.

However, I also know that I don't want to work in a clinic for the rest of my life.  I love the issue of access to health care, but I can't imagine working in the type of environment I'm in now for more than a year.

I kind of feel like I'm in limbo.  I'm trying to be present and to just enjoy my time here, but when weeks drag on and it seems like I'm on a constant treadmill, it seems much easier to think about my end date.

I've been trying to decide if I've noticed any "changes" in myself since I've been in MVC.  I've come up with a few:
-I am WAY more cynical than I used to be.
-I am significantly more interested in politics/policies and significantly less interested in religion than I used to be.
-I am becoming more level-headed in dealing with my emotions.
-I am much better now at relaxing as a reward to myself for a long day of work.

Hmm...I can only begin to wonder what the second half of my experience will bring!

1 comment:

  1. I've been surprised by the changes I've gone through since I've been in Spain as well. I guess that's part of growing up and changing.

    PS I can't wait to see you this summer, and you better be in Philly at some point!

    I love getting your letters in the mail too! Miss you!! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete