Friday, July 8, 2011

Las relaciones

I only have five more days of work!!! I'm pretty sure this is the first time that I've ever been extremely excited to have an experience come to an end, but some very bad experiences with the hierarchy of my clinic lately have made me realize I probably couldn't survive more than another week in Savannah.

This week, I have been even more grateful than usual for the positive relationships that have grown out of my year with MVC.  My roommates and several volunteers at the clinic have become like a family to me.  Even though the structured support for my program did not work out at all, many people here have gone out of their way to be supportive of me in this experience.  Furthermore, many of my patients have strengthened me in ways that words truly cannot express (I hate that phrase, but I don't know how else to explain it).  Today, as I was literally sobbing after being yelled at during an eye clinic, one of my patients gave me a hug (she thought I was crying because I was going to miss Savannah...but I didn't feel the need to correct her) and said that I shouldn't cry because God was using me to make the world a better place for people.  Needless to say, that comment made me cry harder, but in a good way.

I guess this year has reminded me of how inter-personal relationships run our world.  Many of us are where we are because of who we know, and it is our interactions with others that help us become who we are.  So, to all of you who are actually reading this blog, thank you for being part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment